It’s been a crazy busy weekend on the personal side for me, but we all know it’s been crazier and busier for both Nohemi and Andrew Pitts. It was moving day for me, but I kept a close eye on the texts on my Blackberry as I received occasional updates from Nohemi.
At 7:09 a.m., the first text hit, “Good morning everyone! Andrew has been taken off sedation. He is pretty alert and responding great.” And that was the first of many great texts from Nohemi today. He is still running a fever, but who wouldn’t after ingesting Chicago River slime. Thankfully, the medical professionals at Northwestern Memorial Hospital are all over it!
Just two hours later, the annoying breathing tube was removed at 9:03 a.m. Now, 12 hours later, I await a fresh update from Nohemi. In the meantime, I’ll give you some updates of my own.
1. We’re up over $5,000.00. Tomorrow, Father’s Day, I’ll be delivering YOUR gifts to Andrew and Nohemi.
2. Rock on, Stenograph! At about 5:30 p.m. last night, I received a call from an amazing anonymous Stenograph higher-up who confirmed that Stenograph will be supplying Andrew with a new writer and up-to-date Catalyst software.
3. I received over 300 emails of “check’s in the mail”!
4. Warm appreciation to my good friend at abovethelaw.com, Staci Zaretsky, who had her own human reaction to this devastating story and picked it up and rebroadcast Andrew’s news to their readership. Because of abovethelaw.com’s rebroadcast, the posts on Andrew received over 4,000 hits in two days. . .and you know what that means? FOUR THOUSAND PEOPLE WITH CHECKBOOKS!
5. Depoman.com/forum founders and site administrators Susan and Mike Miller pledged up to $1,000 to match Depoman.com/forum subscribers’ gifts and they gleefully made their match this morning. I had the great pleasure of thanking them by phone for Nohemi and Andrew. DEPOMAN.COM/FORUM KNOCKED THE COVER OFF THE MILLER’S CHALLENGE!
There are even more heartwarming stories, but I’m going to save them for future posts. I look forward to updating you all tomorrow after I visit with Nohemi briefly. She will be receiving the donation as well as copies of the corresponding “thank yous” sent on her behalf. So she will have a personal connection to the people who have been moved by Andrew’s accident.
So on this Father’s Day Eve, if you’re a dad, if have/had a dad, know a dad, are married to a dad — pretty much covers everyone, yeah? — then I ask one thing tonight: Collective prayers from all of you for Andrew, Nohemi, Sebastian and Karina.
I am THAT tired.